The Telehealth Professional’s Guide to Successful Program Development is a blog series that provides an overview of the program development plan created by the California Telehealth Resource Center and the consortium of Telehealth Resource Centers. Phases include Assess & Define, Develop & Plan, Implement & Monitor. This plan, combined with national and regional resources, can help you build a successful telehealth program. Click here to read the entire series.
Click here to access the Step-by-Step Telehealth Program Development Checklist.
- Created a snapshot of potential telehealth opportunities available in your community
- Identified the population that you want to serve and defined the services that you want to offer
- Conducted a needs assessment for the service(s) you want to provide
The next step is to conduct a technical needs assessment of your work environment.
What do you need to know?
- A technical needs assessment ensures that the technology available in your physical work environment can support the needs of your program
- The assessment is easy to perform; however, it is crucial to the implementation of your program
- You may incur an expense if upgrades are needed to your facility
- Time required to implement upgrades should be factored into your project plan
What do you need to consider?
- Do your exam, conference and staff rooms have internet access?
- Is adequate broadband available to support your program goals?
- Do you have an adequate number of electrical outlets to support additional equipment?
Resources to get you started!
Visit section 1 of the National Telehealth Resource Center Program Development Guides to access the following resources:
- Technical Needs Assessment Checklist (1.9a)
- Funding for Telehealth: Administration, Clinical, Technology & Broadband Services