The Telehealth Professional’s Guide to Successful Program Development is a blog series that provides an overview of the program development plan created by the California Telehealth Resource Center and the consortium of Telehealth Resource Centers. Phases include Assess & Define, Develop & Plan, Implement & Monitor. This plan, combined with national and regional resources, can help you build a successful telehealth program.Click here to view the entire series.
Click here to access the Step-by-Step Checklist for Telehealth Program Development.
The use of telehealth/telemedicine to meet patient and provider needs is expanding around the world. Some common telehealth/telemedicine services include dermatology, psychiatry, pain management, sports medicine and neurology. Almost any area of practice can benefit from the use of telehealth/telemedicine.
While this growth may add a sense of urgency to implement a telehealth/telemedicine program in your practice, it’s important to understand that developing a quality program requires a plan.
What do you need to know?
- Health care providers are realizing the value and benefit in caring for patients via telehealth/telemedicine
- Consumers are demanding easier access to health care in the work place and beyond
- Employers are looking for ways to expand access to quality health care while saving money
- Technology is rapidly improving, becoming more mobile and available in remote areas
- Reimbursement is becoming less of a barrier as insurance carriers realize the cost savings and patient satisfaction
- Legislation is being approved at both the state and federal levels to recognize and expand reimbursement options
What do you need to consider?
- Is my organization ready and willing to support a telehealth/telemedicine program?
- Has my organization’s leadership given approval to proceed?
- Does my organization have the people and technology or the ability to acquire these resources to build a successful program?
- What needs will the program meet?
- How can patients be educated about this type of health care delivery?
- Will services be reimbursed?
- How can the most benefit be gained from the investment?
- How is success determined?
- What obstacles will be encountered?
- Are goals and objectives needed?
Resources to get you started!
- Course Module: An Introduction to Telehealth
- Webinar: Telehealth 101 -The Easy Basics of Telehealth & Telemedicine
- Video: Telehealth Case Studies
- Telehealth Reimbursement Laws for Your State
- Fact Sheet: Telehealth Reimbursement
- Fact Sheet: Telehealth – The Big Picture
- National Telehealth Resource Center Program Development Guides